Saturday, February 26, 2011

REMY SAVES THE BEST FOR LAST

Singapore’s Remy Ong saved the best for last when he made a dramatic come from behind to win the Men’s Masters defeating top seed from Malaysia, Adrian Ang, ·in the final this afternoon. The 32-year Remy was lying last (12thspot) from an overnight first block, when he rolled off the second block this morning trailing leader, Adrian by 206 pins.·After firing a 220 in his first game today on long oil pattern, Remy was still in 12th spot. However, things took a turn for the better has he went to fire 238, 254, 225, 195, 215 and win all his matchups for a maximum bonus pinfalls for 60, for a grand total of 2554 to finish third, to qualify for the stepladders. In end, Remy was only 94 pins behind Adrian


Adrian who lead from start to finish to finish, qualified as top seed with his grand total of 2648. England’s Matt Chamberlain finished second with his total of 2567 for the semifinal stepladder clash against Remy. There was no stopping Remy as he won his semifinals clash against Matt 197-161.

Adrian choose the short oil for the final, but it did not matter to Remy as he was bent on making history of the biggest comeback story to win the gold. Even two open frames in the second and fourth did not deter the experienced and veteran bowler, as he strung five strikes in a row from frame five to seal the game. “I really cannot believe that I have achieved this feat. I was last yesterday and today I finished third. It is an incredible comeback story probably in the history of bowling,” said Remy. “When I had qualified for the stepladders, I was already contended and would have settled for the bronze.

“I was playing the second seed (Matt), but I got another break and made the final. “Then when Adrian choose short oil, I thought I was done because it was on short oil that I finished last yesterday. “But somehow, the pattern was gave both of us problems, but I managed to adjust faster and find my line.  This is simply fabulous. Winning the Masters has certainly eased a lot of pressure for me when I get home. I had only won the mixed team gold here and with expectations running high, I would have had a lot of answering to do, if I had returned without an individual gold. “As is turned out, it is like a fairytale ending and only that it is not a dream but for real,” said an elated Remy.

Adrian on the other had had problems with his connections and three open frames certainly did not help the 22-year-old bowler who has been the most consistent whole week. But when it mattered most his, form deserted him as he ran into trouble with the lanes. It is indeed sad for Adrian, for he so wanted to much the gold medal to make amends for all the earlier misses of the gold medal when he finished fourth in the singles, won the bronze in the doubles, silver in the mixed doubles and mixed team.

“I had wanted so much to win this gold medal, but it was not to be,” said a disappointed Adrian. “I tried my best, but simply could not get the connections and line. Things went wrong at the worst moment. Whole week, I have been bowling well, and when it mattered most, I had problems. “But Remy bowled well and his comeback from last to reach the final must have really motivated him to rise to the occasion. “I wished I had another shot at this title, but that is not going to happen, and I will just have to live with this result and work even harder to make amends in other coming championships.”

With Remy’s gold medal effort, Singapore’s medal tally was three gold and two silver to finish tops, while England accumulated a total of three gold, one silver and two bronze to finish second, while Malaysia finished third with their haul of two gold, three silver and three bronze.

No comments:

Post a Comment