Tuesday, March 8, 2011

SOHRABI WINS STAGE ONE OF JELAJAH MALAYSIA 2011

BANDAR PENAWAR (9 March 2011) – The winner of the 2007 edition of the Jelajah Malaysia Mehdi Sohrabi of Iran's Tabriz Petrochemical Team (TPT) took victory in the nick of time at the First Stage finish in Bandar Penawar today.



The 30-year old rode solo across the finish line after riding ahead of the main bunch in a breakaway group that started 60 kilometres from the end of the 162.5 kilometre stage, with Estonia's Mart Ojavee of the Champion System team coming second after joining Mehdi in the breakaway.

Terengganu-Pro Asia Cycling Team's Harrif Salleh carried Malaysia's flag in the stage, by not only finishing third, but also taking the lead in the points classification which gave him the Milo green jersey.



Mehdi is the overall leader entering Stage 2 from Bandar Penawar to Kluang tomorrow, a 204.4 kilometre stage which is the second longest of this year's Jelajah Malaysia.
But the Iranian denied that the overall result is a done deal with just a four seconds advantage for him over second placed Ojavee in the general classification.

"There were many breakaways today and I started about 60 kilometres from the finish. I was always at the front and I had the victory on my mind," said Sohrabi.

"I knew when we were nearing the finish in the final kilometres that the peloton was coming very close. But I also saw that there was a chance to go for the win, so in the final 200 metres I just looked ahead and put all my focus on sprinting to the finish line. I won today and have the yellow jersey, but this is not a confirmed overall win. There are many good riders in this race and I expect the lead to change everyday."



Harrif, 23, had an unexpected surprise when he got to the finish as his team's plan was to focus on famous teammate Anuar Manan, who is among the hot favourites in this race.
But Harrif found himself sprinting for third spot with Sohrabi and Ojavee already in front and he took the placing which added to his second placed finish in the first intermediate sprint, to give him the Milo green jersey.

"My team's plan was for Anuar to take the jersey, but somehow it has ended up with me. This is a surprise, but I am thankful. We have to plan the strategy for the rest of the race and I leave it all up to my team manager to decide," said Harrif.


Stage Two of the Jelajah Malaysia from Bandar Penawar to Kluang tomorrow is a 204.4 kilometre stage, the second longest of the race, which is expected to provide more unpredictable results.

No comments:

Post a Comment